We all want to live in a city with a travel system that is greener, cleaner and safer for all. Our city is densely populated and while many of us need to own a vehicle, they cause congestion and contribute to over 50% of air pollution.
Like many cities across the country Portsmouth is facing a serious problem with air quality. The charging Clean Air Zone (CAZ) is helping tackle air pollution and climate change in the city alongside other activities.
Some of the many activities that are helping tackle air pollution:
- providing more Electric Vehicle (EV) charge points
- expanding the Park and Ride
- making Public Transport more attractive
- improving and developing routes for people on foot, wheels and riding
- retrofitting over 100 local buses that travel through heavily polluted parts of the city so they meet cleaner Euro 6 standards
- Encouraging people to stop idling there vehicles