Residents who want to try a new and environmentally-friendly way to travel hire a Voi rental e-scooter for their essential journeys as part of a Department for Transport trial on Portsmouth’s roads and on routes where people can cycle.
To be eligible to ride a Voi e-scooter, users must be 18 years old and over and hold at least a provisional driving licence, which must be scanned through the Voi app when a user rents their first e-scooter.
Top tips for a safe ride
- Only ride on roads, cycle paths and shared use paths
- Never ride on pavements that are only for walking
- Wear a helmet – it’s not required but it’s safer
- Like with any other motor vehicle you must follow the highway code
- Never drink and ride
- Never ride with more than one person on the rental e-scooter
- Never let someone else on the rental e-scooter during your ride
- Before your first ride watch the Ridelikevoila safety training
To get started, download the Voi app for free from Apple App Store or Google Play Store, or visit Voi Scooters for more information. Find out if there is a parking rack near you by checking our map. We will update this as more racks are added.
If you see someone riding a Voi e-scooter dangerously, take a note of the e-scooter’s number plate and the time and please report to Voi.
Privately-owned e-scooters remain illegal, except on private land and with the land owner’s permission.