People who live, visit, work or study in Portsmouth and want to try a more sustainable way to travel can hire a Voi rental escooter as part of a Department for Transport trial on Portsmouth’s roads and cycle routes.
To be eligible to ride a Voi escooter, users must be 18 years old and over and hold at least a provisional driving licence. The first time a rider rents an escooter they will be asked to scan their driving license through the Voi app.
Top tips for a safe ride
- Only ride on roads, cycle paths and shared-use paths
- Never ride on pavements that are only for walking
- Wear a helmet – it’s not required but it’s safer
- Like with any other motor vehicle you must follow the highway code
- Never drink and ride
- Never ride with more than one person on the rental e-scooter
- Never let someone else on the rental escooter during your ride
- Before your first ride watch the Ridelikevoila safety training
If you see someone riding a Voi escooter dangerously, take a note of the escooter’s number plate and the time and please report to Voi.
To see the results of our consultations on escooters, visit Your City, Your Say
Privately-owned escooters remain illegal, except on private land and with the land owner’s permission.