Residents who want to try a new and environmentally-friendly way to travel hire a Voi rental e-scooter for their essential journeys as part of a Department for Transport trial on Portsmouth’s roads and on routes where people can cycle.
To be eligible to ride a Voi e-scooter, users must be 18 years old and over and hold at least a provisional driving licence, which must be scanned through the Voi app when a user rents their first e-scooter.
Top tips for a safe ride
- Only ride on roads, cycle paths and shared use paths
- Never ride on pavements that are only for walking
- Wear a helmet – it’s not required but it’s safer
- Like with any other motor vehicle you must follow the highway code
- Never drink and ride
- Never ride with more than one person on the rental e-scooter
- Never let someone else on the rental e-scooter during your ride
- Before your first ride watch the Ridelikevoila safety training
If you see someone riding a Voi e-scooter dangerously, take a note of the e-scooter’s number plate and the time and please report to Voi.
To see the results of our consultations on e-scooters, visit Your City, Your Say
Privately-owned e-scooters remain illegal, except on private land and with the land owner’s permission.