People who live, visit, work or study in Portsmouth and want to try a more sustainable way to travel can hire a Voi rental e-scooter as part of a Department for Transport trial on Portsmouth’s roads and cycle routes.
To be eligible to ride a Voi e-scooter, users must be 18 years old and over and hold at least a provisional driving licence. The first time a rider rents an e-scooter they will be asked to scan their driving license through the Voi app.
Top tips for a safe ride
- Only ride on roads, cycle paths and shared-use paths
- Never ride on pavements that are only for walking
- Wear a helmet – it’s not required but it’s safer
- Like with any other motor vehicle you must follow the highway code
- Never drink and ride
- Never ride with more than one person on the rental e-scooter
- Never let someone else on the rental e-scooter during your ride
Before your first ride, complete Voi’s RideSafe Academy. You’ll also be rewarded with a code for a free 30 minute ride.
To get started, download the free Breeze app on Google Play (Android) or the App Store (iPhone). You’ll also be able to rent Beryl Bikes by Breeze on the app, as well as organise your travel on a variety of public transport. For more information read the Frequently asked questions below or visit the Voi website.
If you see someone riding a Voi e-scooter dangerously, take a note of the e-scooter’s number plate and the time and please report to Voi.
To see the results of our consultations on e-scooters, visit Your City, Your Say
Privately-owned e-scooters remain illegal, except on private land and with the land owner’s permission.
Map of Voi rental e-scooter bays
You can see a map of all locations where you can rent a Voi e-scooter here, or in the Voi app.