People who live, visit, work or study in Portsmouth and want to try a more sustainable way to travel can hire a Voi rental escooter as part of a Department for Transport trial on Portsmouth’s roads and cycle routes.
To be eligible to ride a Voi escooter, users must be 18 years old and over and hold at least a provisional driving licence. The first time a rider rents an escooter they will be asked to scan their driving license through the Voi app.
Top tips for a safe ride
- Only ride on roads, cycle paths and shared-use paths
- Never ride on pavements that are only for walking
- Wear a helmet – it’s not required but it’s safer
- Like with any other motor vehicle you must follow the highway code
- Never drink and ride
- Never ride with more than one person on the rental e-scooter
- Never let someone else on the rental escooter during your ride
- Before your first ride watch the Ridelikevoila safety training
To get started, download the Voi app for free from Apple App Store or Google Play Store, or visit Voi Scooters for more information.
If you see someone riding a Voi escooter dangerously, take a note of the escooter’s number plate and the time and please report to Voi.
To see the results of our consultations on escooters, visit Your City, Your Say
Privately-owned escooters remain illegal, except on private land and with the land owner’s permission.